|Town||Mortagne au Perche||Dept||Orne|
|Floor||700 M2||Plot Size||90000 M2|
Effie Iorsch , your local Leggett agent, says :
The property is located 2 hrs west of Paris in some of the most beautiful countryside in Europe – The Perche, in Normandy. The Perche National Park is a designated area of Outstanding Natural Beauty and the closest green belt to Paris. Stunning Chateau set in + 22 acre estate, renovated throughout to provide private country estate with all comforts. This property although grand has an incredible inviting warmth and is somewhere that you could feel very at home – perfect for a private country home to enjoy with friends and family or equally suitable for a business venture to enjoy with guests.View Effie's Property Portfolio Voir l'annonce en Français
Chateau de Blavou is set in the triangle between the battlefields of the coast, Paris and the Loire Valley. Seventy minutes from the coast, it is in an area of outstanding natural beauty in the Perche National Park. It is fully restored and you can move in straight away. Paris 2 hours via N12 or A 11 motorway . This is an ideal location from which to explore the rest of France.
The property is just 10 mins from the historic town of Mortagne au Perche where there are all amenities including cinema, restaurants, hotels and superb Saturday market.
Set in very peaceful spot along a small lane the entrance gates to the chateau open onto the alley driveway, no road noise and no neighbours, at the end of which the Chateau is found. The Chateau is extremely attractive and benefits a south facing exposition, surrounded by beautiful grounds a superb ensemble.
The total habitable space is approx. 700m², the château comprises on the ground floor :
Entrance hall/reception room (30m²) Reached via steps up to the balcony. Tiled floor and plastered walls, very light spacious hall.
Reception room/library (40m²) with French doors onto the balcony, very light room with plaster walls and tiled floor.
Formal reception room/dining room (45m²) with parquet floor, beautiful views over the park to the front and rear from the huge windows, very light room, fireplace. Access to one of the tower rooms.
Salon (45m²) Charming room with a warmth created by the exposed stone walls and exposed beams, open stone fireplace and tiled floor, opening onto one of the two tower rooms. Door to rear spiral staircase which provides access from the top floor down to the cellar. Door to steps to the parking .
2 Tower rooms each with three very tall windows providing superb views across the grounds – large enough to have a round dining table for 10
Informal dining room (35m²)with direct access to the kitchen
Kitchen (35m²) fully fitted, bright kitchen – located in the oldest part of the property
Beautiful 15th century stone spiral staircase leads up to the first floor:
Huge sitting room (70m²) with stone fireplace, exposed stone walls, exposed beams and tiled floor. Wonderful views over the park.
Bed 1 (50m²) In the oldest part of the property this room although very large has a comfortable warmth , exposed beams, exposed stone walls, tiled floor, en-suite bathroom
Bed 2 (45m²) Room with views over the lake and the grounds, exposed stone walls, exposed beams, tomette tiled floor, en-suite bathroom in the tower – with far reaching views, opens onto a small room ideal for children’s bedroom
Bed 3 (45m²) Suite of 2 rooms to be used as two bedrooms for a family or a bedroom, in the tower room, and private sitting room, en-suite bathroom, wooden floor and plaster walls.
Bed 4 ( 18m²) Wooden floor, plaster walls, en-suite bathroom.
Each of the 4 bedrooms has an en-suite bathroom
Attic space – possible to increase living space as was once used as bedroom’s.
Vaulted cellar used as a dining/entertaining room, will seat 60+
Former Chateau kitchen with huge open fireplace and remains of the bread oven
Further cellar/bar area with access to garden
Food preparation room
The chateau benefits oil fired central heating.
In the grounds, immediately next to the Chateau is the 'Lodge' which is a self contained gite/cottage providing 5 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms and a lounge and kitchen.
There is a small orangerie to the front of the lodge as well as a large room ideal for use as an artists studio as it has natural light coming through the glass ceiling.
The 9 hectare park (approx 22 acres) has a small boating pond with ducks, several wooded areas where deer live, an orchard, and it is easy to maintain. There are cherry, apple, pear, walnut ,fig, sloe, chestnut and quince trees.
The Chateau is withing easy reach of Le Mans, Chartres, Fontainbleau, Versailles, Caen, Loire valley and Paris - with its diverse accommodation it will lend itself to a business opportunity as well as a private family home.
The Blavou history goes far back:
In the 12th century, the owners lived in what was called a Motte Castrale, a building made of wood, built in the exact same site of the current Chateau.
Blavou was certainly one of the oldest castles in the area and probably dates from the late 1400's to the early 1500's. It was a big building, although simple with windows in the shape of a cross carved in stone known as 'fenêtres à meneau'. There were towers at the 4 corners which would have been square. In addition, there was a moat around the Chateau for protection, called Douves. There was also a coat of arms for Blavou being the Catinet family coat of arms
By the early 1500's the Blavou family had become very large and were known by the name of Cantinat. The father of the family was a lawyer and had 16 children.
One of these children was Nicolas who joined the French army as an officer. He was to win many battles for Louis 14th and eventually became Marechal of France. He had 10 children living at his death when the children divided his property and Chateau de Blavou was sold to the De Vannsay de Blavous family, ancestors of de Pontbriand. The mother of Giles de Pontbriand, the current mayor, was a de Vensay.
Giles de Pontbriand still lives at the Chateau de St Denis about ¼ mile from Chateau de Blavou. There is now a church next to his chateau called Eglise St Denis sur Huisne. An underground tunnel connects the church and Chateau de Blavou. There is also an underground tunnel into the nearby woods. These tunnels were used to enable the family to escape when the Chateau was under attack.
By 1860, the de Vannsay de Blavous family were very rich and used some of their money to modernise the Chateau. They wanted a gothic style chateau and so built stairs and balustrades with windows in the roof. It was the fashionable thing to do at that time.
The Chateau is today a chambre d'hote and venue for weddings, celebrations, language and cultural courses and musical events.
|Faible émission de GES||Logement|
|Forte émission de GES|
* The currency conversion is for convenience of reference only