Find out more ...
€5 250 000 (HAI)**
**agency fees included : 5 % TTC to be paid by the buyer
(€5 000 000 without fees)
ST ELIX LE CHATEAU
|Surface||1880 M2*||Plot Size||36145 M2|
|Share this property||
|Voir l'annonce en français|
South of Toulouse , built in 1540's, The "Château de Saint-Élix" and its manucured parkland is the black diamond of the south west coming from the 16th century perfectly restaured and only 25 minutes by car from Toulouse Blagnac airport. (10 mins. by helicopter) with close to 4 hectares flat land available . The Château itself offers 2880 m2 on 5 levels , of which 1880 m2 of livable space. On the first floor: entry hallway, large lounge , 3 bedrooms and 3 bathrooms. On the second floor : 4 bedrooms and 4 bathrooms. On the third floor : lounge, 3 bedrooms and 3 bathrooms. Large attic and new roofing. On the ground floor : reception room 165 m2 and kitchen : 365 m2 . Possibility of acquiring more land and also the huge winter garden "Orangerie" of the castle itself , which needs full renovation
The proximity of Toulouse-Blagnac airport and the Airbus Group Headquarters is a major factor in the decision making process for this investment. Read more ...
THE CASTLE OF SAINT ELIX LE CHATEAU : In its greenery surroundings, the high brick towers covered with shiny slates give to the Castle Saint Elix a magnificent and legendary look. The legend itself is there, originated by a true story between King Francois the First and a charming lady whom beautiful eyes rushed the King to build a castle just for her, as what was said all during the 19th century. But the truth is somehow different, as attractive as the legend however, as this land of Saint Elix was in fact part of the historical accounts of France. This seigniory was purchased in 1529 by Pierre Potier, the proud owner also of the one of La Terrasse, very close to Carbonne. Notary and secretary of the King, Pierre Potier married Beatrice de Bertier, the daughter of an important person reigning over the waters and forests of Comminges upon instruction of Francois the First. Later on, such assignment was kept by his family. Pierre Potier is therefore a very wealthy man which allows him to build a really luxurious castle. Unfortunately, the Potier family will not keep this castle for long, after 2 generations it will reverse to the Bellegarde who will then sell it to the Gondrin de Pardailhan. This family is known because of Madame de Montespan, the concubine of King Louis the 14th, and in 1702, the son of this famous lady, the notorious Duke d’Antin get rid of Saint Elix, the new buyer being a rich man of Toulouse, Jacques Jacob, who in turn leaves in his testimony the castle to his nephews, among them is Jean-Charles de Ledesmé. This Renaissance castle will then revive with the new Baron of Saint Elix, General Major assistant and Bailli of Valois, which will transform the castle into one of the most exquisite residences of the whole region of Toulouse. To realize this project he gave precise instructions and was kept so far some sketches by his own hand of the park layout and a view in perspective of the whole estate. The residence was decorated by his own friend, the sculptor Francois Lucas, and it managed to travel in time without major damages, even during the French Revolution (only 2 towers were affected) and the 19th century. The troubles start when the family Suarez d’Almeyda will sell the estate in 1926, the castle is then made empty and will be transferred several times to other owners. Later occupied by a training school of the French Air Force, the roof was destroyed by a fire in 1945, this is the time the castle was abandoned, then ruined and looted just before it was bought in 1975. 5 extensive years of refurbishment were necessary to rehabilitate the castle as it was originally in the 16th century. The 2 main towers are restored and the huge roof structured frame is reinstalled, this being a very unique restoration project ultimately reestablishing this residence of Francois the First era into our modern times. The construction phase of the castle is precisely well-known, as Francois Potier registered to the Notary all of the construction steps in 1541. He adopted a layout which is very unusual in the south of France which actually turned the Saint Felix castle into a smaller version of Chambord donjon. The castle itself is erected on an isolated terrace protected by large dry moats, it is built in pink brick stones but the opening structures and mullions are made out of stones. The cubic living quarters are flanked by 4 towers at each corner, covered by a conical slated roof. The castle itself has a pavilion type of slated roof of 18 meters high, giving a magnificent look to the whole, as it was done for the castles in the Northern part of France. The main facades have 3 dormer windows on top of the big windows line, without having the pilasters connecting the different floors as it is the case in the castles of the Loire Valley at that period, most likely because of the techniques used to work the brick stones, finally it gives to the castle its architectural signature and brings it closer to the southern tradition. The entrance was behind a drawbridge, still in place up to the 17th century, then the inner yard opens to a double staircase up to the door of the residence. There is an entrance to the basement directly to the kitchens floor and service area on both sides of a central corridor. The same layout is applied in the two residence floors and in the large attic space, like it was in Chenonceaux castle. At the main floor, there is the large reception hall and master bedroom, and on the left side of the corridor 2 rooms connected to many other servicing rooms part of the towers for storage or wardrobe. There is the same layout on the upper floor, serviced by a straight staircase parallel to the corridor. Everything was conceived to live in style and comfort, the central hallway has an arched ceiling in brick stones with crossed lancets on stone pillars. The main living room has still its stoned chimney with the blazon of the Potier family. The architect Laurent Clary actually used the same pattern in other residences of Toulouse and in the castle of Castelnau-Estretefonds. The castle was completely overhauled only during the middle of the 18th century, and the baron of Ledesme, an art and architecture savvy, designed himself the layout of the French styled garden, where some features still do exit nowadays. He first built on both sides of the Renaissance castle 2 other huge buildings for the stables and the winter garden,
*These data are for information only and have no contractual value. Leggett Immobilier cannot be held responsible for any inaccuracies that may occur.*
**The currency conversion is for convenience of reference only.
DPE : Energy test not required.